Pastor Chris Surber offers "Matsunoki Martial Arts" classes on Tuesday evenings during the school year. 2022-23 school year classes begin September 6th.
6:30 -7:20 PM - Little Ninjas - up to age 10.
7:30-8:30 PM - Spiritual Warriors - over 10.
*Ages can be flexible depending on family circumstances / sibling gropus etc.
There is no cost for training. Students simply need to acquire a training uniform (Gi) and come to classes with a positive attitude and willingness to learn, work hard, and have fun.
Uniform: Any lightweight karate is acceptable. White uniforms is preferred but if students already own a gi they can feel free to use it. Here are links to a couple of examples: ProForce / Hawk / Century
Pastor Chris started his martial arts journey as an amateur boxer in his teens years, (Silver / Golden Gloves), where he established a foundation for training as well as a love for the physical, mental, and spiritual benefits of the martial arts. He continued training in boxing and various other martial arts disciplines while serving in the U.S. Marine Corps. He is a Black Belt in traditional Karate, certified from the IKSA. He and his sons also train Brazilian Jiu Jitsu with Professor Paulo Riberio. Utilizing Christian principles, Pastor Chris emphasizes character development and spiritual growth through Karate training.
Contact Pastor Chris for more information and to register for classes. The parental consent form and registration form are below in .PDF form. Please print and complete them then email them to Pastor Chris (email@example.com) to register your child or children.
Ephesians 6:10-18a, "Finally, be strong in the Lord and in the strength of his might. Put on the whole armor of God, that you may be able to stand against the schemes of the devil. For we do not wrestle against flesh and blood, but against the rulers, against the authorities, against the cosmic powers over this present darkness, against the spiritual forces of evil in the heavenly places. Therefore take up the whole armor of God, that you may be able to withstand in the evil day, and having done all, to stand firm. Stand therefore, having fastened on the belt of truth, and having put on the breastplate of righteousness, and, as shoes for your feet, having put on the readiness given by the gospel of peace. In all circumstances take up the shield of faith, with which you can extinguish all the flaming darts of the evil one; and take the helmet of salvation, and the sword of the Spirit, which is the word of God, praying at all times in the Spirit, with all prayer and supplication." (ESV)
Creative Community Connections, by Pastor Chris
Shaping Your Children into Spiritual Warriors, by Pastor Chris.
The 20 guiding principles from the father of modern Karate, Gichin Funakoshi. We use this as concepts to help us along the path of becoming self-controled peacemakers in our spirit and in the world.
- Remember that Karate-Do begins and ends with Rei (Respect)
- There is no first strike in Karate
- Karate stands on the side of justice
- First know yourself, then know others
- Mentality over technique
- The mind must be set free
- Calamity springs from carelessness
- Karate goes beyond the dojo
- Karate is a lifelong pursuit
- Apply the way of Karate to all things. Therein lies its beauty
- Karate is like boiling water: without heat, it returns to its tepid state
- Do not think of winning. Think, rather, of not losing
- Make adjustments according to your opponent
- The outcome of a battle depends on how one handles emptiness and fullness (weakness and strength)
- Think of the opponent’s hands and feet as swords
- When you step beyond your own gate, you face a million enemies
- Kamae (ready stance) is for beginners; later, one stands in shizentai (natural stance)
- Perform kata exactly; actual combat is another matter
- Do not forget the employment or withdrawal of power, the extension or contraction of the body, the swift or leisurely application of technique
- Be constantly mindful, diligent, and resourceful in your pursuit of the Way
Sebastian Surber Performing Form-1
Kata Form Examples (Kihon Kata 1-5 for colored belts)
Links to reccomended uniforms:
Size charts are found on most listings for uniforms. We train weekly in athletic pants and t shirts and rank belt. Students need a uniform for promotion days at the end of each semester and special training days as announced. Matsunoki Martial Arts Patches will be provided to iron onto karate uniforms. All new students need a white belt. One comes with most the karate uniforms.
These or any one like these. White or blue is preferred but any color is acceptable.
Matsunoki Martial Arts is affliiated with the Independ Karate Schools of America (IKSA)